Fun Ideas for Supporting the 7th gr. Standards at Home
- Incorporate a “word of the week” activity. Have your student write a new vocabulary word on a notecard and tape it to the refrigerator. Record your child saying it and use it as a mobile phone ringtone. Also encourage her to use the word in conversation.
- To encourage reading, ask your child what she is reading about. Have her re-tell the story in her own words.
- Have your child develop math problems around your families’ favorite sport. For example, figure out the average number of attendees at each game during the last Diamondbacks season.
- On a sheet of unlined paper, ask your student to make a scale drawing of a soccer field. Include goals, goal area, penalty area, halfway line, and kickoff circle. Your student should use the principles of geometry to ensure the drawing is to scale. (This activity can also be done with a football field or baseball diamond.)
- Ask your child to help you calculate the amount of tip to leave your waitress when eating out at a local restaurant based upon the total bill.