What Is Depression?
Depression is an illness with a biological basis.
People who are depressed feel “down in the dumps” and are not interested in the activities they usually enjoy.
Symptoms that a depressed teen may experience include:
• losing or gaining a significant amount of weight (not due to diet) or dramatic change in appetite
• having trouble sleeping or sleeping too much
physical feelings of either restlessness or being slow, sluggish
• not having any energy
• feeling worthless or guilty (with no clear cause)
• not being able to concentrate or make decisions
• feeling more irritable or angry than usual
• thinking about wanting to end your life.
If you experience at least five of these symptoms most of the day for at least two weeks, you may be depressed.